Starting A Business

Requirements & Contact Information

To conduct business in the City of Marion you must first have a City-issued business license and zoning compliance approval. A business license is issued by the City Tax Collector after receiving zoning compliance approval from the Zoning Administrator. A business wishing to locate in a permitted zoning district without the need for development approval can obtain the necessary compliance permit and license in one 30-minute visit to City Hall. For businesses requiring City Council or Planning Board approval or requiring a building permit the process may take between may take longer. Whether opening a large manufacturing facility or a downtown retail shop, the City is ready to help you through the process.

Building Permits, Sign Permits & Zoning Compliance

Walk-through application and permitting service for all permitted uses within the City of Marion is available in the Planning and Development Services Department at City Hall Monday through Friday 8 am to 9 am and 1 pm to 2 pm. 

Fire Prevention Inspections

The City of Marion Fire Inspector will conduct a fire inspection prior to opening a new business. This service is free of charge and can be scheduled prior to opening by calling the Marion Fire Department at 828-652-5201.

Business License & Commercial Waste Services

The City Tax Collector is available at City Hall Monday through Friday 9 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 5 pm to issue a business license to operate a business and set up commercial waste service. The cost of a business license is $20 per year per business. The cost of commercial waste collection services varies based on the frequency of collection. 

Water & Sewer Hookup & Payment

The City Utility Services Department is available at City Hall Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm to establish new water and sewer service accounts. Any business requiring the installation of a new tap may download an application from our website, but the City recommends contacting the Public Works Director prior to submitting the application to the Utility Services Department.

Other Helpful Resources

  • Federal Tax ID Number: To obtain a Federal Tax ID Number visit the IRS website and click on "Online EIN application"
  • North Carolina Tax ID Number: To obtain a North Carolina Tax ID Number visit the North Carolina Department of Revenue website. Complete form NC-BR for sales and use and income withholding.
  • Business Name Registration: To register a business name call the McDowell County Register of Deeds at 828-652-4727
  • McDowell County License and Tax Listing Requirements: For information on McDowell County license requirements and tax listing business property call McDowell County Tax Collector at 828-652-7121.
  • Health Department Inspections: Certain types of businesses require a health department inspection. For more information please contact the McDowell County Health Department at 828-652-2921.
  • North Carolina Department of Commerce: The North Carolina Department of Commerce offers the business community a centralized information source for business start-up information, existing industry resources, and state business regulations. View the North Carolina Department of Commerce website or call 800-228-8443 for more information.